With so many available treatment options, it can be hard to determine what program you need and when. Because of that, we make it simple for you with an intensive outpatient program (IOP). Our IOP program in Los Angeles provides a full continuum of care. You can attend IOP while still living at home.
We teach you how to identify your triggers for using drugs and alcohol. From there, you can learn to replace the desire to use substances with healthy alternatives. What is more, our plan includes treatment for mental illness.
What is an Intensive Outpatient Program?
Before you consider beginning an IOP program in Los Angeles, you’ll want to understand how it works. An IOP is an addiction treatment program that allows a person to live at home while receiving help. During the program, an individual receives several types of therapies. Consequently, they understand why they developed an addiction and how to combat it.
An IOP program usually takes place 3 to 5 days per week for a few hours each day. Participating in IOP arms people with the ability to leave sober and stay that way. Therefore, follow-up care is usually recommended after completing it.
Benefits of Intensive Outpatient Treatment
There are several unique benefits of intensive outpatient treatment that appeal to many people such as:
- Accountability. Participants in an IOP program have the opportunity to develop a greater sense of responsibility. Learning and applying the tools to living a sober life helps to build confidence. IOP teaches people to complete the responsibilities of day-to-day life. At the same time, they meet the commitments of a treatment program.
- Independence. Outpatient care can teach responsibility in a much different way compared to residential treatment. Patients learn to apply what they learned at the facility daily at home. This creates a balance they can take with them after they leave.
- Lower costs. Inpatient rehabilitation costs cover the price of housing, meals, 24-hour staffing, and more. IOP provides high-quality care with fewer resources. Thus, it makes it much more affordable.
- Maintaining routine. An IOP is also beneficial for those who have obligations they must attend to outside of the rehab center. For example, they may have work or school responsibilities they can’t miss. Additionally, they may have children at home who need care. IOP helps a person maintain a schedule outside of treatment.
Who is an IOP Program in Los Angeles For?
There are 2 different situations in which an IOP program in Los Angeles works best. First, IOP can act as a stepdown program from residential. After completing residential, IOP can help a great deal.
It continues many of the types of therapies that come with initial treatment. However, it now allows people to put them into action as they return to living at home. This gradual shift helps to reduce the risk of relapse.
Second, IOP may serve as the first step after detox. Often, an assessment shows that a person doesn’t need residential care. As a result, they can go straight to an outpatient program. This group usually includes those whose addiction isn’t classified as severe or long-lasting.
Having said this, it’s important not to make this decision alone. Treatment professionals can perform an evaluation to help determine what a person’s medical and psychological needs are. In this event, the person can make an informed and confident choice about what treatment they need.
What to Look for in a Los Angeles IOP Program
A Los Angeles IOP Program should start with a full medical and clinical assessment. Because of the results found, a plan can be created for each person’s unique treatment needs. Additionally, it’s important to know that the structure of each program is unique. This applies to the treatment modalities offered. As well, it includes the amenities each facility offers.
When looking for IOP, a person should make sure the program offers several types of therapy. In the event that a person receives multiple therapies, they enjoy stronger sobriety. Then, they are more prepared to leave treatment and stay sober.
Types of therapy that many IOP programs offer include:
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Trauma therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical-behavior therapy
- Psychodrama therapy
IOP programs in Los Angeles generally offer 10 to 12 hours of group and individual therapy every week. Additionally, people may also want to see if they include 12-Step programs. Another thing to look for is any aftercare programs offered.
Once IOP is completed, many people benefit from aftercare. This can include sober living homes, continued therapy, and alumni programs. The longer a person remains in treatment, the longer they tend to enjoy long-term sobriety.
Therapy Used at a Los Angeles IOP Program
Therapy allows patients to truly address the underlying roots of addiction. As a consequence, it allows individuals to work through their problems and develop healthy coping skills. Aside from medical support, different evidence-based forms of therapy are a crucial part of treatment.
Group therapy is a core part of the majority of IOP plans. Some of these benefits include:
- Allows people to work on their communication skills. It also serves as a great resource for socialization.
- Provides a support system, which proves crucial to addiction recovery. Individuals find encouragement, comfort, and honest feedback from peers that understand their struggles.
- Reinforces healthy ways of interacting and provides a safe community that is vital in the recovery journey.
- Group members who are farther along in their recovery can offer valuable assistance and empathy to those who just started their recovery journeys.
Another major aspect of an IOP in Los Angeles is individual therapy. The patient receives 1-on-1 sessions with a trained therapist who specializes in addiction treatment. Benefits of this include:
- 1-on-1 sessions focused on their needs and goals
- Learning coping skills for life challenges specific to each person
- Being able to share intimate ideas and personal experiences with just the therapist as it can be difficult to do this in group therapy
- Moving at a pace that is right for each person
IOP often offers complementary therapies. These are also often called holistic therapies. They complement the core part of treatment. Options can include art therapy, music therapy, and yoga. Additionally, other forms of self-care may be offered. Complementary therapies allow treatment of the person as a whole and include mind, body, and spirit.
Support groups are a great way to give and get support during the recovery process. We recommend that patients participate in peer support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous. Having said that, if a person wants less of a faith-based approach, SMART Recovery meetings can help. These are centered around evidence-based methods to help with temptation and cravings.
Begin an IOP Program in Los Angeles
When you decide to get sober, you may wonder how to accomplish your goal. Are you ready to start living a life of sobriety? If so, LA Detox can help. First, we help you complete detox from drugs or alcohol. Next, you can move to our residential or outpatient treatment.
As a result, you will enjoy the sobriety you deserve. We also treat any co-existing mental health issues. If you have any questions about our IOP program in Los Angeles, contact LA Detox now.