When it comes to receiving a full continuum of care for addiction, it is vital to never cut one’s treatment plan short. Instead, individuals should work through every phase of their plan to reduce their risk of relapse. A way to accomplish this is by finding ways to stay sober while living in the Los Angeles area.
Including sober living Los Angeles, California as part of one’s rehab aftercare program gives people the continued stability necessary for success. If you or a loved one is looking for an aftercare program, feel free to contact us at Los Angeles Detox.
What is a Sober Living in Los Angeles, CA Like?
Many addiction treatment programs take place at our facility. On the other hand, many do not. The latter includes sober living Los Angeles, California. Sober living houses in Los Angeles provide support outside of a formal treatment facility. To add, sober living means staying in temporary housing with others in addiction treatment.
A sober living environment provides a clean and safe space for people in recovery to reside. Additionally, each person shares the goal of being sober and learning to stay that way. Sober living homes help people in several areas that prove vital to learning to master sobriety.
These areas include:
- Finding a job
- Living with others as a responsible adult
- Creating and sticking to a schedule
- Helping adjust to sober living
- Helping restructure their relationships
- Planning for their return home
Studies have shown that 40% to 60% of those in recovery from addiction relapse at least once. Those odds increase when a person goes straight from detox or residential treatment back to a toxic home situation. Thus, sober living provides a bridge between formal treatment and returning home.
Consequently, the person arms themselves with the ability to do better in their recovery than if they went straight home. People can remain in sober living homes anywhere from a few weeks to several months. They can consult with the house manager and other professionals to assess their progress. Then, they can decide the best time to return home.
Residential Treatment vs. Sober Living Homes in Los Angeles, CA
There are a few differences between sober living homes and more formal residential treatment. The first involves structure. Residential homes require a person to stay on-site 24/7. Sober living homes provide a step-down approach to treatment.
As a result, residents can leave during the day to attend treatment appointments. Second, many sober living homes allow residents to work or go to school. They also include chances to enjoy a sober social life outside the home. Additionally, residential treatment protects a person from temptations to relapse.
Not only this, but those in treatment aren’t living in potentially toxic living situations they were living in when they entered treatment. Fortunately, with sober living Los Angeles, California, people have a chance to test what they’ve learned in treatment. They take lessons about using healthy coping skills out of the home and road test them.
All in all, this gives them a chance to learn to stay sober and avoid triggers. People with unstable home lives will benefit from a sober living facility. There are many aftercare or sober living facilities programs to help a patient during this critical time.
Some of these programs are:
- Outpatient treatment
- Group counseling
- Individual therapy
- 12-Step programs
- Sober sponsorship
How Do Sober Living Houses Work to Benefit One’s Recovery?
Many people wonder, “How do sober living houses work?” Sober living in Los Angeles, California starts by providing a drug and alcohol-free living space. Because of this, residents are less likely to be in a situation to relapse. SAMHSA states 4 main factors in recovery offered by sober living houses in Los Angeles.
- Community– Having a strong support system both during and after treatment is crucial to success. Sober living allows residents to continue to build their support system. By befriending fellow residents and facilitators, individuals can form a stronger circle of friends once they return home.
- Residence– Having a safe place to stay after treatment is imperative. For some, returning home isn’t the best option because triggers surround them so heavily. The location of the home or family members living there could encourage drug use, making relapse almost guaranteed. Staying in a sober living space gives people time to determine their next move while protecting their sobriety.
- Health– Protecting a person’s overall health is an essential component of protecting their sobriety. Sober living allows a person to keep a focus on diet, physical activity, and mental health. As a result, it’s easier to be successful in their treatment plan.
- Stability– Keeping a busy schedule is key to staying on the right path after treatment. Sober living allows a person to keep a schedule of chores, appointments, and meetings. This adds to keeping their focus on recovery. Additionally, they feel a sense of accomplishment when completing their daily and weekly tasks regularly.
Sober Living Environments Help to Avoid Relapse Triggers
The inability to resist using drugs or alcohol lands people in treatment. Conversely, this issue becomes the focus of addiction treatment. Sober living in Los Angeles, California helps people have a safe place to land before they return home.
The reason this is an issue is that their homes may be chaotic and unstable. Until they are ready to address this and make needed adjustments, the person is at great risk for a quick relapse after treatment. Relapse triggers can come from a variety of sources.
- Constant conflict with family members, coworkers, or friends
- Peers actively using drugs or alcohol, especially in the person’s presence
- Non-existing regular and stable structure
- Places where drugs and alcohol are easily accessible
- Places where violence, along with emotional abuse, is prevalent
- Returning to toxic relationships with people who encourage the newly sober to drink or use drugs
Begin Sober Living in Los Angeles, CA
Want to know more about what sober living Los Angeles, California can do for your recovery? We are here to support you on your journey to lasting sobriety. In addition, we can provide a full spectrum of treatment plans. From detox to sober living, we’ve got you covered. Additionally, we treat dual diagnoses for those struggling with mental health issues.
Contact LA Detox today with any questions you have. Then, we’ll help you get started on living an exciting new sober life.