Sober Living in Los Angeles
When it comes to receiving a full continuum of care for addiction, it is vital to never cut your treatment plan short. Instead, individuals should work through every phase of their plan to reduce their risk of relapse.
One way to accomplish this is by finding ways to stay sober while living in the Los Angeles area. Including sober living in Los Angeles as part of your rehab aftercare program will give you the continued stability necessary for success. If you or a loved one is looking for an aftercare program, feel free to contact us at Los Angeles Detox.
About a Sober Living Environment
While most addiction treatment programs take place at the facility, a sober living house in Los Angeles provides support when you are not at treatment. Essentially, a sober living environment is a clean, sober, and safe space for individuals to reside. Sober living is a temporary housing situation that is utilized before an individual goes home to permanently stay there.
While this can also include your home, in most cases, Los Angeles sober living houses remove you from your environment in order to create a healthy sober living home with facilitators.
This helps to ensure the environment remains safe while also working to hold residents accountable for their actions. While in a sober living environment, residents will remain on a strict schedule that includes chores, meals, and attending meetings as well as therapy sessions.
Sober living homes are facilities that are guaranteed drug and alcohol-free. This is an interim before an individual is to return to their home. Sober homes are sometimes owned by religious entities or businesses. Most of the time, these homes are owned by previously addicted individuals wanting to help other people get sober.
The difference between sober living homes and other residential treatment is that sober living homes are less structured. Studies have shown that with a person who is living an unstable home and does not go to a sober living home, there is a high percentage of relapse. Sober living facilities provide a place where there are drug and alcohol-free fellowship.
These facilities help individuals to improve their chances of staying sober in ways like:
- Finding a job
- Finding a housing situation suitable for the individual
- Helps the individual to adjust to sober living
- Helping the individual to restructure their relationships
Aftercare programs are essential for staying on the track of a sober lifestyle. This type of program allows the patient to anticipate future conflicts and challenges. Approximately 50% of individuals who go through a rehab program relapse.
These aftercare programs help prevent a relapse back into drugs. The duration of an aftercare program or sober living facility is dependent on the individual. These programs can be as little as a couple of weeks to over a year long.
People with an unstable home will benefit from a sober living facility. There are many aftercare or sober living facilities programs to help a patient during this critical time. Some of these programs are:
- Outpatient treatment
- Group counseling
- Individual therapy
- 12-Step programs
- Sober sponsorship
How does Sober Living in Los Angeles fit into your plan?
A common misconception surrounding treatment and recovery is that clients can head straight home after their residential or outpatient treatment. However, that couldn’t be farther from the truth.
Studies show that the longer an individual remains in treatment, the more effective the treatment is. It also significantly helps to reduce the risk of relapse. SAMHSA states four main factors in recovery offered by sober living houses in Los Angeles. These include:
- Community- Having a strong support system both during and after treatment is crucial to success. Sober living in Los Angeles allows residents to continue to build their support system. By befriending fellow residents and facilitators, individuals can have a stronger circle of friends once they return home. Having people to lean on and talk to that understand what you’re going through can make a significant difference when returning home.
- Residence- Having a safe place to stay after treatment is imperative. For some, returning home isn’t the best option because triggers surround them so heavily. The location of the home or family members living there could encourage drug use, making relapse almost guaranteed. Staying in a sober living space gives you time to determine your next move while protecting your sobriety.
- Health- Protecting your overall health is an essential component of protecting your sobriety. Sober living allows you to keep a focus on your diet, physical activity, and mental health while you continue your treatment plan.
- Stability- Keeping a busy schedule is key to staying on the right path after treatment. Sober living allows you to keep a schedule of chores, appointments, and meetings to help keep your focus on recovery. This helps you feel a sense of accomplishment when you are accomplishing your daily and weekly tasks regularly.
Avoiding a Dangerous Environment to Your Sobriety
So what type of environment could threaten your sobriety? Does the environment really matter? By returning home to a chaotic and unstable environment, you place yourself at risk for a quick relapse after treatment. Outside influences can quickly act as triggers for drug use, placing you right back at the starting point of your journey. Some components of a dangerous environment may be inclusive of:
- Constant conflict with family members, coworkers, or friends
- Peers actively using drugs or consuming alcohol, especially in your presence
- Nonexisting regular and stable structure
- Places where drugs and alcohol are easily accessible
- Places where violence, along with emotional abuse is prevalent
- Surrounding yourself with people who encourage you to drink and/or do drugs
To avoid such a negative environment, consider the sober living Los Angeles offers after your stay at treatment. We offer extensive care in order to help guarantee a lifetime of sobriety.
LA Detox and Sober Living
As you learn about the sober living Los Angeles residents’ needs, it is first important to learn more about Los Angeles Detox. Learning about available addiction treatment programs and therapies will help you create the best treatment plan for your unique needs. Programs can include:
Residential addiction treatment is also referred to as inpatient treatment. This is where the patient lives in the facility for a determined amount of time where the patient receives 24 hours of care while they are at the facility.
The total amount of time spent in the inpatient treatment program is determined by several factors such as the severity of the addiction, how long the patient has been addicted to, and several other factors.
This type of treatment offers patients drug and alcohol rehab, however, the patient is still able to live within the comfort of their own home.
Professional addiction treatment programs are programs that are specifically designed for business professionals. For professionals looking for addiction treatment designed specifically for you, contact us at Los Angeles Detox center where we would be happy to help.
Dual diagnosis treatment is when the patient has an addiction and in addition to the addiction, struggles with a mental health disorder.
Importance of an Aftercare Program
To help keep individuals on a successful track, an aftercare program is necessary. Approximately, a little over 10% of patients do not receive the critical treatment needed to help them on their road to recovery. The road to recovery is a journey that, step by step, can be achieved. The goals of an aftercare program are:
- Maintain sobriety after an inpatient and outpatient program protocol and set each and every patient up for success in their road to lifetime sobriety.
- To prevent relapse of drug addiction in order to maintain the hard work and effort patients have put into becoming sober during their time in treatment.
- An aftercare facility provides a safe environment to live in while transitioning to the home environment.
- To have therapy to help keep the brain to continue to function in inappropriate ways and be able to function with a normal schedule.
- To help the physiological effects that are commonly associated with drug addiction.
Things to Ask When Looking for The Right Rehab Facility
- Does the facility have an educational program?
- Does the facility have a vocational program?
- Does the facility offer both a drug and alcohol program?
- Ask about finances and affordability
- Does the facility offer child care?
- Does the facility offer housing?
- Does the facility offer transportation?
- Does the facility offer other mental health support?
- What resources are available?
- Try to get a recommendation from a trusted source
- What are the house rules?
- Is the house coed or same-sex facility?
- Does the facility help people with dual diagnosis?
Want to know more about what Sober Living Los Angeles provides for you in regards to recovery? Contact LA Detox today. To learn more about your options and how to begin your journey towards lasting recovery. We are here to support you on your journey to lasting recovery and will provide the support you need every step of the way!