When it comes to overcoming addiction, you must implement multiple steps and modalities to achieve your goals of recovery. If a facility approaches treatment with a one-size-fits-all attitude, recovery won’t be possible. This is why addiction therapy services are so crucial to the overall treatment plan of each client. Without these services, clients would lack the skills and tools they need to reach recovery.
When individuals struggling with addiction begin the process of finding a facility that suits their needs, they need to look at the therapies offered. If the facility only provides one or two options, it’s usually best to look elsewhere for help. Look for a facility that provides multiple addiction therapy services that will give you the emotional support you need. These services will also help you learn more about yourself, your addiction, and how to stay in recovery.
Common Addiction Therapy Services
After a detox program, the next step tends to be a residential treatment program that provides a range of addiction therapy services. Some of the more common services options that are effective during treatment include the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy– This type of addiction therapy allows clients to work closely with their therapist to identify negative thought and behavior patterns. They will then work together to create objectives and plans to reach these objectives to break these negative patterns. The therapist will help introduce new skills that will change how the client approaches and handles stress and problems without negative thinking.
- Dialectical behavior therapy– DBT focuses on four main areas to help clients manage their emotions and improve their relationships. These areas are mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness. These focuses help develop communication and problem-solving skills that will encourage facing obstacles head on instead of escaping from them.
- Family therapy– Addiction can cause a severe breakdown in family relationships. Family therapy sessions are a must to rebuild these bonds in a safe, effective, and respectful way. Here, loved ones can talk through problems, establish boundaries, and learn how to communicate appropriately.
- Group therapy- A group session includes a small group of clients and one or two therapists. During these sessions, therapists will act as facilitators as the group discusses a wide variety of topics. Here, clients can learn from their peers while also strengthening their communication and social skills.
- Individual therapy- When it comes to addiction therapy services, individual therapy tends to be the most common and well known. During these sessions, clients work one-on-one with their therapist to build a trusting bond. As clients become more comfortable, they can begin to talk through their background and past experiences with their therapist. Clients start to understand their own emotions better while learning new coping mechanisms for after treatment.