With so many addiction therapy options available to those looking for help, it’s vital to understand what each method entails. Knowing more about each method will help you make the best decisions about your treatment and care during your journey. Lacking this knowledge could mean participating in therapies that lack any significant benefit. One therapy option often offered through our Los Angeles addiction treatment programs is Dialectical Behavior Therapy.
The Focuses of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
Dialectical behavior therapy helps clients work through painful emotions while also teaching them how to maintain positive, healthy relationships. It includes four major areas of focus to help clients to learn the skills they need to live a sober life after treatment. These areas are as follows:
- Mindfulness- This area helps to teach the individual how to be more present and accept the current moment they’re living in.
- Distress tolerance- Focusing on distress tolerance helps the client increase their threshold for negative emotions and working through them instead of trying to escape.
- Emotion regulation- This area teaches a client how to handle any intense emotions they might feel. They can learn to accept, manage, and change these emotions for the better to work towards a more positive outcome.
- Interpersonal effectiveness- The area of interpersonal effectiveness focuses on teaching the client how to be a more effective communicator. This means learning communication skills that allow an individual to be assertive, respectful, and an overall healthier individual to have a relationship with.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy Components
Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Los Angeles is broken into the following four components:
- Skills training- This training occurs during group sessions and will help the client strengthen the skills they’re learning in previous sessions. This means learning to live in the moment, work through painful events and emotions, and creating healthy boundaries in relationships.
- Individual therapy- One-on-one sessions help a client become more motivated both during and after treatment. Here, they learn how to apply the skills they’re learning to everyday scenarios.
- Independence- As the client learns independence, they learn to be their own advocate and case manager. They learn how to talk about their emotions in a way that lets them receive the support and help they need from others. They also learn how to properly problem solve on their own.
- Support system- This component helps the client build the support system they need both during and after treatment. This can include therapists, family members, friends, and peers from treatment.
Begin with Dialectical Behavior Therapy Today
Do you believe DBT could help you in your journey towards sobriety? Learn how Dialectical Behavior Therapy and other addiction therapy programs in Los Angeles can help you during treatment today. Contact LA Detox now at (866) 932-8563 to learn about beginning at LA detox center today. Find your will and we will help you find the way.