Los Angeles Detox has access to the best treatment facilities ready to provide comprehensive care for a variety of addictions. Whether you or someone you know struggles with addiction to alcohol, prescription drugs, gambling, sex, illicit drugs, or something else, we’re confident one of our affiliated facilities has the recovery program fit for the addiction and more importantly, the individual.
Understanding the Signs of Addiction
Addiction can manifest itself in many different ways depending on the individual and his or her particular addiction. However, many of the signs are universal among all addictions. The DSM-5 considers a substance use pattern to be an addiction, or substance use disorder, when two or more of the following occur within a 1-year period:
- Tolerance, either:
- Reduced effect with same amount of substance
- Increase in amount needed to achieve desired effects
- Withdrawal, either:
- Withdrawal symptoms characteristic of the particular addiction
- Use of substance (or similar substance) to reduce or avoid withdrawal symptoms
- Taking the substance for a longer period of time or in larger amounts than is intended
- Unsuccessful efforts to reduce use of the substance
- Strong urges to obtain and use the substance
- Significant time spent obtaining, using, or recovering from use of the substance
- Difficulty maintaining responsibilities or fulfilling obligations in major life areas
- Persistent use despite having social problems caused or worsened by substance
- Activities that were once fun have been reduced or eliminated because of use of the substance
- Use of substance in situations that puts one’s self or others at risk
- Use of substance despite it causing or worsening physical or psychological problems
It is important to remember that each individual and their addiction will be different from the next. Matching you with a treatment center that specializes in your addiction and is able to offer a treatment plan as unique as you is indispensable for recovery.
Don’t wait to get the help you need; contact us today if you or someone you love is struggling with addiction. We’ll connect you with one of our top-tier treatment facilities and help get you started on your journey to recovery.